Sunday, June 3, 2012

Looking at the numbers

This weekend was supposed to be the photo session fundraiser. But it didn't happen because not a single person signed up. I know times are hard and money is tight. I know people are tired of hearing us ask for help. I really do get it. I have had a few people apologize for not signing up. There is no need for that. I understand. I am so thankful Kristy Pruet offered to do the fundraiser. I am thankful people care about our family.  I know that if my friends could, they would just write me a check. I have great people in my life.  I am grateful. That keeps me moving.  Support on this journey isn't just about money.  You guys hold me up when I get overwhelmed. You keep me moving forward when I get paralyzed by having so much to do and so far to go. By having to start back at the beginning just as we crossed the finish line.

Our biggest issue is, as always, getting the word out. I am hitting the same audience-my facebook page. And the same dozen people share my links and hit the same audience-their facebook page. The same people can not give over and over.  One person can only do so much.  I have to get this off of facebook. I have to have more people sharing with more people. I just don't know how to do that.

This adoption isn't about money. It is about V. A precious little girl. It is about family.  Our family and our daughter.  I hate that money even becomes a part of this. I wish we could just write a check and go.  Talking about money turns this beautiful journey into something cold and sterile.  Unfortunately, giant sums of money are a yucky reality of this process.  So, I have to think about it...a lot.   And things, well they are pretty stagnant financially right now. I have to figure out how to make some headway. 

I was going back through the Hope for Sharon Blog. This is how the money came in last time-

$11,000 was donated by a few people in BIG chunks.


$5000 Dale and I put in when we got our tax returns.


$2600 raised with Hope Cuts


$2000 raised at Rojo


$2000 raised at yardsale


$2000 raised with IPad


$1500 raised with 1 of our 100


$4100 raised with various fundraisers and donations (everything from Easter egg hunt, Hope party, Beach trip, etc. to donations not for a giveaway) That last $4100 was made up of mostly 5-20 dollar donations.

We had about 4000 left over from the last adoption.  We used some of that on Eva's tooth surgery. We have received 1K from a single donor and our Memorial Day Fun Day brought in over $700.  The other thousand or so has been $6 for our 6, the blendtec giveaway, and a few amazing people that have done some fundraisers for us.

I am looking at this trying to figure out what to do from here.  We have such a long way to go. Hope cuts will not bring in near that much this time.  I can't do an Ipad. We are doing Rojo and a yardsale. I really hope they are both as successful this time, but don't know what to expect.

We still need about $18,000.  And possibly more.  With the Euro Cup and the summer Olympics I am hearing scary plane ticket prices.  BUT our paperwork is taking longer than expected since we had to start all over.  We will not be traveling in July as we had first hoped.  So, though the wait is excruciating, perhaps it gives us more time to fundraise and the prices will be back down.

When we were down to 18K last time we began 1 of our 100 and Hope Parties.  We raised about $2K between those two things.  One person through a Hope Party and brought in about $500!!  We would be so grateful if anyone would consider being 1 of our 100 again (donate 18 dollars and ask 9 friends to do the same).  This would be really helpful and is easy to do.  Please check out the links if you feel led to do so.

 We also have our ongoing Art Auction. No action has really started on there yet. . I would love to throw V a birthday party in July and turn it into a fundraiser.  Maybe another family fun day type thing. If anyone has any idea how to make this happen I am open to suggestions.

Basically, this is my "Please help!" cry. I feel stuck.  I am waiting on clearances to come back for the home study. I am having to redo papers for the dossier.  Fundraising is at a standstill.  I just feel stuck and a bit panicked.  If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Our number one need is getting the word out, getting the word out, getting the word out.  One person shared our blog last time and the right person saw it and changed everything for us. That could happen again, but we have to hit a new audience.

Anyway, I do have Hope and faith. I know I had these panic moments last time. I know it will happen. Thank you guys for listening, supporting, and caring about our family.  We couldn't do this without you!

4 comments:

  1. Kate, we would love to help with any party planning or such:-) We will be in town until July 13 but again...we are here to help and continue to spread the word. I also have some school books that are not selling that could be donated to your fundraiser or sold at curr sale in August with all proceeds to goto your adoption! luv u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, we would love to help with any party planning or such:-) We will be in town until July 13 but again...we are here to help and continue to spread the word. I also have some school books that are not selling that could be donated to your fundraiser or sold at curr sale in August with all proceeds to goto your adoption! luv u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally behind you in this and would love to help witnplannin a patry in July...as long as it is before the 13th as we are going up North then. I also have some curr books that have yet to sell, i would love to donate for fundraiser or just give ypu proceeds from sale inAug thru curr sale. Luv u!

    ReplyDelete