Sunday, October 14, 2012

There is no place like home....

So,I am the world's worst blogger.  I apologize.  The last leg of the journey was very stressful and exhausting, coupled with internet and computer issues.

So I will try to catch you up.  We took the train up to Kiev on Wednesday night.  Darcy rocked the train. She did amazing.  That was our first night together.  She did great.  I love that dang train. Then we went straight to our embassy appointment.  But we were early.  So we sat in the car for over an hour. Then we went in and were told we didn't have a letter from Dale's insurance that we needed. Dale and I had gone on our second day in Kiev to ask for a list of exactly what we would need.  The embassy emailed me a list of what we would need as well.  No letter was mentioned.  We brought the letter last time, apparently, but between home study papers, dossier papers, embassy papers, medical papers, and 8 months-I do not remember every paper I had and where it went. That is why we made the extra trip to the embassy to double check we had everything.



They told me that Dale's insurance could just email a letter. So they did. But the embassy then said that the email wouldn't work but they would let me write an affidavit swearing we would get her insurance and they would cover her.  This step is silly since it is an American law that all adopted children have to be covered.  But, anyway, it worked out.  Just extra stress. So, we went on Friday and picked up our Visa!!

Her medical was pretty good. The one thing that I will never forget was when he asked her to draw a house and she told him she didn't know what  house looked like.  Wow. That drives it home, huh?

There was so much driving and waiting in the car those two days.  She did amazing. I was blown away.


The last night we stayed in the hotel at the airport.  Then we got up, at what would have been, 4:30 pm Friday night at home.  We got to the airport and security was a pain, but we got to our flight.  It was pretty uneventful. Next stop was Franfurt where we had a 5 hour layover.  This is where Eva and I started to lose it on the way home last time.  But we were still hanging in.  Amy and I were blown away by how well Darcy was holding up.

That was the big flight.  It was also pretty uneventful until the end.  As we circled to land in Boston.  Darcy threw up all over me.  All over me.  Bless her heart.  We cleaned her up and I walked in my puke pants to passport control.  The woman there was horribly rude and yelled at me.  Then they took me to a little office for Homeland Security where I watched them humiliate and belittle a woman South Asian woman.  They were rude to everyone, talking about people right in front of them, dropping F bombs, making faces behind people's backs, and taking their time about doing anything.  I was standing their, covered in puke and horrified. I asked if I could change my pants, but when I peeked my head out to see if Amy had our bags, I got yelled at.

To contrast, in Chicago, the man stamped her papers, congratulated us, and said "Welcome to America".  I am seriously going to be making phone calls and writing letters.  This is not acceptable.  And they kept me so long that they long that we had to run to make our flight.

They also didn't have boarding passes for Darcy and I and then had us seated all apart.  Darcy and I ended up together, but Amy was stuck up front.  That flight was super scary.  The girl who sat next to me was not afraid of flying and she said she was freaked out.

And then, we had a short short layover.  So we RAN through the airport as fast as we could. I did not want to miss that last plane. Darcy was exhausted at this point, but still doing great.  I kept waiting for her meltdown and IT NEVER CAME!!! She is such a trooper.

I can not even describe how it felt to get off that plane and run to our family.  She was laughing and saying, "simya" (family) and "happy" as we ran.  Seamus just walked up and stared at her.  Eva kept touching her and petting her. Everyone was so happy to finally have her home.

I grabbed Dale and cried. It was so surreal to be home. finally. both of them. HOME. There were a few friends there to welcome us, which was a shock since it was about 9:00 pm. My friend Tesney, had brought a friend to take photos which I am eternally grateful for.  I would have been so sad for Eva to have homecoming pics and not Darcy. I can't wait to see them!

Having been up for over 30 hours, stressed to my limit, and at the end of a very long journey, I passed out quickly.  We walked in and showed her around.  Then I went to bed. Dale stayed up and played with the kids for awhile.

Darcy slept in our room.  She crawled into bed with me and snuggled right in.  Waking up next to her at home was an amazing feeling.

This morning, she has fit right in.  I love the first day home. Everyone is sharing and on their best behavior.  Darcy is adoring and doting on Seamus.  He loves her as well. She and Eva are so happy to see each other, but it definitely freaks Darcy out that they don't speak the same language.  Can't wait for her to see how fast she will learn.  Everyone wants to play with Darcy. She is playing great.  Even better is that she keeps checking in with me and coming over for snuggles.

We just had our first family breakfast.  Our table full was the best feeling in the world. I am so happy right now.  I know there is a tough road ahead, but we have a great foundation.  Things are wonderful.

We are about to go out front and play.  Darcy is so excited to get on those bikes.  Can this be real??

 On January 13th Dale and I got on our first flight to go to Ukraine.  On October 13th I finally flew home.  Finished.  And just beginning. 

There is no way this should have been possible.  But here we are.  I will never have enough thanks to all the people who helped get us here. If you donated money, time, goods, talents, childcare, if you prayed, sent thoughts, got nekkid, shared links, told a friend, if you flew over with me, if you loved and cared for our family-THANK YOU!!!  We did it.  Our girls are both home despite odds that no one thought we would overcome.  They have a family and a future.  And we have 2 amazing, beautiful children. THANK YOU!

note-several people have asked. i think i was in country 43 days total.  with the 10 day wait the in country process was 53 days! counting both trips i was in ukraine about 3 months this year.  insane!!! 



5 comments:

  1. I am soooo happy for you!! And horrified at customs in Boston! Definitely write those letters. I can't wait to see more pictures of your COMPLETE, beautiful family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so touched to read this post.Your hope became a reality! The challenges beat! I really hope all who read your blog and have followed your story can see the hand of God in all of it. Without Him, this could not have been accomplished. He loves orphans so deeply and it pleases Him to find loving parents for them. I hope that one day, they too, will see how much God loves them and delivered them out of their hopeless situation. Blessings on you guys for doing something amazing! Congratulations on your new family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to cry!!!! happy tears here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy tears here again I am so happpy :')

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO happy for you and your family!! I can't put my finger on it, but the family pictures that you had posted before with Eva just looked like you were missing someone and it is obvious that Darcy was it. You all look so lovely and perfect. Congrats to you and way to go momma!!

    ReplyDelete